You signed in with another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You signed out in another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You switched accounts on another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.Dismiss alert
{{ message }}
This repository was archived by the owner on Nov 9, 2017. It is now read-only.
Repository navigation
This repository was archived by the owner on Nov 9, 2017. It is now read-only.
Node.js Foundation Core Technical Committee (CTC) Meeting 2016-12-14 #46
The agenda comes from issues labelled with ctc-agenda across all of the repositories in the nodejs org. Please label any additional issues that should be on the agenda before the meeting starts.
Joining the meeting
Uberconference; participants should have the link & numbers, contact me if you don't.
Public participation
We stream our conference call straight to YouTube so anyone can listen to it live, it should start playing at https://www.youtube.com/c/nodejs+foundation/live when we turn it on. There's usually a short cat-herding time at the start of the meeting and then occasionally we have some quick private business to attend to before we can start recording & streaming. So be patient and it should show up.
Many of us will be on IRC in #node-dev on Freenode if you'd like to interact, we have a Q/A session scheduled at the end of the meeting if you'd like us to discuss anything in particular. @nodejs/collaborators in particular if there's anything you need from the CTC that's not worth putting on as a separate agenda item, this is a good place for it.
@jasnell It's not clear to me that [WIP] Restore copyright attribution #10155 should be on the CTC agenda. This seems to be something that can/should be resolved somewhere between the Foundation's legal team, the Foundation Board of Directors, and the TSC. Am I wrong? If so, can you clarify what the CTC needs to decide on this so that everyone can come to the meeting prepared? (Is it just to amplify the signal on the "please help me find files that don't need this change" request?)
@Fishrock123 Can deps: upgrade npm to 4.0.2 #9848 be removed from the agenda as it was discussed last week? (I missed the discussion.) Or does it need to stay on this week? If it should stay on, can you give a one- or two-sentence summary of what needs to be decided?
@jasnell Similar to the other issue on this, can you expand on what needs to be decided by the CTC about Updating the Copyright #174? Can this be removed from the CTC agenda? (It's labeled for the TSC agenda as well, which means a lot of people are going to be talking about it twice...)
@mhdawsonInitial version of eps for ABI-Stable-Module-API #20 can be removed from the agenda as there was resolution last week? Or does it need to be discussed some more?
I'm not sure it needs to be on the agenda, but we do need to decide when and how to deprecate the current CLI debugger. @ofrobots@joshgav @jkrems @jasnell
Do we deprecate it in documentation now? (If not, what are we waiting for?)
When do we create a runtime deprecation for it?
Or do we just make it an alias for node-inspect somehow despite some issues with that?
Are we even able to make informed decisions about any of this at this point or is it wise to wait a bit until we learn more as we move forward with incorporating node-inspect etc.?
Is @jkrems blocked or limited by anything on the node-inspect incorporation? Is there anything we or someone else might be able to do to make things easier/faster for him?
Is all of this stuff we'd be best off delegating to @nodejs/diagnostics and not worrying about on the CTC side other than being kept informed? (I'd love it if the Diagnostics WG charter were sufficiently clear that there wasn't really a choice on this. That is, I'd love it if the charter were sufficiently clear that this either definitely did or definitely did not fall to the Diagnostics WG. I reviewed the charter with @jkrems I think and my recollection is that it wasn't clear. /cc @williamkapke for a second opinion.)
The other issue that may not need to be on the agenda necessarily but that we certainly don't want to lose track of is: What is the Buffer deprecation situation going to look like in version 8? @ChALkeR@addaleax
Is a runtime deprecation still planned? If so, what will the message look like to avoid the issues from the version 7.0.0 deprecation message?
What sort of work is going on to make this as easy on the ecosystem as we can make it? What sorts of resources might the CTC or the Foundation or someone else be able to provide to help?
Messaging? Maybe help from the Foundation and/or Evangelism WG and/or others?
I don't think there's anything to gain from waiting on this (at least creating the PR). It would be unfortunate to land a runtime deprecation without having a replacement ready but given the looming doom of node 8, I'd say rather sooner than later.
This can be dropped from the agenda "Initial version of eps for ABI-Stable-Module-API #20". We talked about it last time and I've removed the tag from it.
Activity
Trott commentedon Dec 12, 2016
@jasnell It's not clear to me that
[WIP] Restore copyright attribution #10155should be on the CTC agenda. This seems to be something that can/should be resolved somewhere between the Foundation's legal team, the Foundation Board of Directors, and the TSC. Am I wrong? If so, can you clarify what the CTC needs to decide on this so that everyone can come to the meeting prepared? (Is it just to amplify the signal on the "please help me find files that don't need this change" request?)Trott commentedon Dec 12, 2016
@Fishrock123 Can
deps: upgrade npm to 4.0.2 #9848be removed from the agenda as it was discussed last week? (I missed the discussion.) Or does it need to stay on this week? If it should stay on, can you give a one- or two-sentence summary of what needs to be decided?Trott commentedon Dec 12, 2016
@jasnell Similar to the other issue on this, can you expand on what needs to be decided by the CTC about
Updating the Copyright #174? Can this be removed from the CTC agenda? (It's labeled for the TSC agenda as well, which means a lot of people are going to be talking about it twice...)Trott commentedon Dec 12, 2016
@mhdawson
Initial version of eps for ABI-Stable-Module-API #20can be removed from the agenda as there was resolution last week? Or does it need to be discussed some more?Trott commentedon Dec 12, 2016
I'm not sure it needs to be on the agenda, but we do need to decide when and how to deprecate the current CLI debugger. @ofrobots @joshgav @jkrems @jasnell
Do we deprecate it in documentation now? (If not, what are we waiting for?)
When do we create a runtime deprecation for it?
Or do we just make it an alias for node-inspect somehow despite some issues with that?
Are we even able to make informed decisions about any of this at this point or is it wise to wait a bit until we learn more as we move forward with incorporating
node-inspectetc.?Is @jkrems blocked or limited by anything on the
node-inspectincorporation? Is there anything we or someone else might be able to do to make things easier/faster for him?Is all of this stuff we'd be best off delegating to @nodejs/diagnostics and not worrying about on the CTC side other than being kept informed? (I'd love it if the Diagnostics WG charter were sufficiently clear that there wasn't really a choice on this. That is, I'd love it if the charter were sufficiently clear that this either definitely did or definitely did not fall to the Diagnostics WG. I reviewed the charter with @jkrems I think and my recollection is that it wasn't clear. /cc @williamkapke for a second opinion.)
Trott commentedon Dec 12, 2016
The other issue that may not need to be on the agenda necessarily but that we certainly don't want to lose track of is: What is the Buffer deprecation situation going to look like in version 8? @ChALkeR @addaleax
Is a runtime deprecation still planned? If so, what will the message look like to avoid the issues from the version 7.0.0 deprecation message?
What sort of work is going on to make this as easy on the ecosystem as we can make it? What sorts of resources might the CTC or the Foundation or someone else be able to provide to help?
Messaging? Maybe help from the Foundation and/or Evangelism WG and/or others?
hybrist commentedon Dec 12, 2016
I don't think there's anything to gain from waiting on this (at least creating the PR). It would be unfortunate to land a runtime deprecation without having a replacement ready but given the looming doom of node 8, I'd say rather sooner than later.
mhdawson commentedon Dec 12, 2016
This can be dropped from the agenda "Initial version of eps for ABI-Stable-Module-API #20". We talked about it last time and I've removed the tag from it.
cjihrig commentedon Dec 13, 2016
I'm not going to be able to attend this week.
thefourtheye commentedon Dec 13, 2016
Chennai is still recovering from the Cyclone Vardha. No power and mobile networks are hardly functioning. So I might not attend this week. Sorry!
bnoordhuis commentedon Dec 13, 2016
Hope everything gets back to normal soon, @thefourtheye. Take care.
ChALkeR commentedon Dec 14, 2016
Sorry, I won't be able to attend today.
If it comes to a voting today, I abstain on
[WIP] Restore copyright attribution #10155andUpdating the Copyright #174.Fishrock123 commentedon Dec 14, 2016